Saturday, March 15, 2014

Story #44


Dear Readers,

This is the forty-fourth story in the weekly series of one-page stories I’ve been publishing here since last May. Thank you for reading.

Yours sincerely,
Matthew Sharpe


Story #44

Things rarely went well for Ralph and he often got into trouble. He was up in the treehouse sniffing glue one day when his twelve-year-old daughter climbed in with two of her friends. “Dad, are you kidding me?” What were she and her friends doing up there in the middle of winter, anyway? He climbed down and walked out across the frozen river and fell in through a hole in the ice. The current carried him away from the hole. He was under the ice somewhere, freezing and suffocating. He found a little air pocket and breathed. From the left, he heard his mother’s voice. “Fuck off, Ralph,” it said, just as his mother had done when she was alive, having been an alcoholic and in a rage much of the time. He went toward her voice, as he did so often in childhood, like one of those sad baby monkeys in the psychology experiment that clings to a cold metal stick if it’s all the mother that’s available. He saw a hole in the ice and moved toward it. The hole was the wound in his mother’s soul, which she now offered to him as an escape hatch from icy death. He knew that when he climbed through it he would be healing both himself and, posthumously, her, leaving behind the terrible life he’d led thus far. He emerged from the hole freezing, aching, panting, in pain, barely able to move. His wife, Cynthia, stood there, looking at him mournfully. She was not an alcoholic or addict, and was kinder than his mother had been. “I’m divorcing you, Ralph,” she said. “Oh please don’t, Cynthia my love,” he said, “I’ve changed.” “Oh,” she said, and wept. In intense pain, he put his arm around her and walked her back to the house, comforting her and leaning on her for support. He didn’t know what her response meant or whether she still intended to divorce him.

6 comments:

  1. oh wow. I just found this. Well the ny times helped me find this. what a great story! Also, i love the idea for this project. Will it go on forever, or is it a year long project, or you'll just stop when you want? I'm going to go read some of these. Thanks for writing them. mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary (and thank you, NY Times). It is indeed a year-long project. I'll post 52. I am also intending to publish those 52 along with some others -- maybe 48 more? -- in book form.

      Delete
  2. Also pleased to discover you/this via your swell NY Times piece on 3/16.

    Because this was the first story I'd read here (so tone wasn't presumed), and I'd just mis-read the opening to great effect (I found the word "Dad" to be a brilliant surpise because I'd misread "when his twelve-year-old daughter..." as "when the twelve-year-old girl..." and thought you were a genius), I was on pins+needles waiting for the tense dramatic action to wrap-around with a twist reveal of the same light, warm, funny tone I thought it had started with~ ha!

    I did go back and re-read (accurately!) your opening and whole story, and it took on the messy, sour, moving quality you must have intended -- I loved it.

    Thank you for both tales~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, @TheGirlPie. I welcome your misreading which seems to have scrambled the story in an interesting way.

      Delete
  3. Hello. I'm posting this comment from Japan. Motoyuki Shibata, a translator and the editor of the magazine Monkey, introduced the stories #18, 23, 25, and this site, so I'm interested in your works. I enjoyed #44. Ralph's reunion with his mother leads to his resuscitation. We can talk with the dead and learn something from them,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm feeling very lucky that Motoyuki Shibata chose to translate those stories and publish them. Yes, I do think it can be useful to talk with the dead. The dead and the living can help each other.

      Delete